Get Off the Couch and Exercise Your Way to Feeling Better
BY DR. MERCOLA – http://organicindia.mercola.com
If you’re not exercising on a regular basis, you’re missing out on one of the best ways to boost your energy and help offset your anxiety.
Your key to obtaining the benefits of exercise is to find a program and stick to it. Here is a quick guide you can use when starting or expanding on your current routine:
- Listen to your body – It’s important to pay attention to your body when exercising. Even though your body needs exercise to improve, you could make things worse if you violate your current limitations. So, you may have to start with as little as a few minutes a day and work your way up from there.
- Be consistent – Find a program that works best for you and stick with it on a regular basis. Whether it’s 30 minutes a day or more, consistency is key.
- Start with walking if you’re out of shape – If you’re starting out in poor shape, slow-paced walking will produce benefits. But if you are starting out in better condition, you will need to walk faster and/or farther to get the best results.
- Increase your intensity regularly – Ideally, you should exercise at an intensity level that makes it somewhat difficult to talk to the person next to you. If this is not the case, increase your intensity as your fitness level improves.
- Perform anaerobic training – There is new scientific evidence demonstrating the benefits of interval-type training. I recommend you consider incorporating a comprehensive program that includes short bursts of activity at very high intensity based on your specific fitness level.
- Try running, swimming, or cycling – Running is a very inexpensive means of exercise. Just make sure you replace your running shoes about every 6 months. If you swim, avoid chlorinated pools. And as far as cycling, learn vital safety measures before riding.
- Consider using an elliptical machine – Don’t let occasional bad weather put a damper on your exercise routine. Have a back up plan that includes my favorite, an elliptical machine, when forced indoors.
- Incorporate strength training – Rounding out your exercise program with a muscle-exhausting strength training routine will ensure you’re really optimizing the possible health benefits of a regular exercise program.
- Stick with it! – Whether you’re just starting out or are looking to take your routine to another level, sticking to your plan is key to success.
So, getting into a daily exercise routine is the first place you should start to boost your energy and stamina, help minimize your occasional anxiety, and enhance your overall health.